Friday, August 15, 2008

Dream #3: Hardware Store

Please refer to the guidelines on the right and enjoy interpreting this dream...

I walk up to a hardware store. I see a big neon-pink sign in the window that says, "Discounts For Pink Slips" -- they are giving discounts to people who have been laid off. I am there to return something. I get in line. The people working there are busy, but none seem to be interested in the customers in line. They are taking calls and saying stuff over the loudspeaker. The line grows and shrinks, but I stay in the same place. I lose track of time. My number is never called. Now Susan (a friend) is there. I am showing her a worksheet I've created. It's reminiscent of a numerology chart, but it has to do with math. She's giving me feedback on it -- parts of the sheet are hard for her to understand, she says.

This one's a mystery to me...I can't wait to read what you come up with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there, Katrina! This dream makes me think of how it feels to be caught up in bureaucracy, or a process that's designed to be extra helpful when, in reality, it isn't. A hardware store should be the most helpful place ever - it sells all kinds of nifty gadgets and necessary parts, and this one even has discounts for people down on their luck, customer service reps who seem to be on the ball... But the customers aren't getting helped! And whatever the store sold you the last time you were there either doesn't work or isn't the right thing, because you're returning it.

All that compounded with a neverending line - I'd've been asleep on my feet, too! (Zoning out is sometimes the best defense. :)

I don't know about the part with the chart and your friend, though. Maybe it, too, could be about bureaucracy on some level... Makes me think of paperwork and forms - things we need to figure out, complete, and turn in, that are meaningful to us, because we have to do the work, and meaningful to whoever the work is for, but difficult to understand when you're someone outside the process or exchange.