Friday, August 1, 2008

Dream #2: The Waterfall

Just a reminder of how this works: use "projective dreamwork" to interpret the dream. Check the guidelines in the sidebar for more information. To give your input on the dream, leave a comment.

I am in a park, maybe in Hawaii, definitely somewhere tropical. I am standing at the edge of a cliff. When I look down I see a waterfall. The area is basically a big circle carved into the earth, and water comes down on most sides. The inside is rocky and steep -- it's like a straight cylinder was carved into the ground. Down at the bottom is a small and inviting pool. I want to go down, but the rocks look slippery and dangerous. Two kids next to me, a boy and a girl, who seem like they are native to the area, start hopping down from one rock to the next. They are laughing and gleeful with no fear. This surprises me. Part of me wants to tell them to be careful. But I don't say anything. I start following them down, more as a witness than a physical person. We reach the pool and it's nice and cozy. The top doesn't seem as far away as I thought. The kids splash around and eventually climb out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Katrina! I don't have real definite ideas about what this dream would mean to me, but it's been sticking with me, perhaps because in my dreams, children often represent something very wise, free, and pure; they see things that adults can't, because they aren't weighed down by worry, ego, and pettiness. If you're a fan of Julia Cameron (author of The Artist's Way), you'll understand what I mean when I say that, for me, they're like a cross between one's artist child and an old soul.

A couple other layers from your dream are sticking with me, too, and they are its setting and the witness. For me, the setting represents pure inspiration - it's beautiful, it's surprising, it's absolutely not to be resisted. For the children, it is a playground. And though the witness sees it's potential dangers, she can't help but make it her playground, too.

So, for me, this dream feels like being inspired and deciding to follow one's bliss. In my mind, the children have it right - they see something happy to do, and they go and do it, no two thoughts about it. And ultimately the witness, world-wise as she is, sees the sense in following their lead; it's so much better than standing safely at the top of the cliff. And I love the witness's sudden realization at the end of the dream, that the climb wasn't really as dangerous as it had seemed! Isn't this so often the way of things? Anticipating what might happen is often the hardest part; the actual diving in is much easier, because one is in a place of power.

Katrina said...

you have no idea how pertinent this is to my life right now, Sarah...thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad my comments were pertinent - that means I'm really excited for you! Good luck with whatever the endeavor is, Katrina. :)